The World Investment Forum (WIF) is a high-level, biennial, multi-stakeholder gathering designed to facilitate dialogue and action on the world’s key emerging investment-related challenges.
Its mission is to provide a platform where a debate on “investment for development” can take place and ultimately to promote investment flows that contribute to sustainable and inclusive development. With its ties to UN member States, the Forum is able to bring together a broad coalition of investment stakeholders at the highest level who can influence the global investment landscape.
The past editions of the WIF brought together almost 4,000 participants from more than 140 countries across the world, including Heads of State, global CEOs, heads of international organizations and civil society.
- The inaugural WIF, held in Accra, Ghana in 2008, focused on the future of foreign direct investment flows: where FDI will come from and which sectors and regions will be the main targets of these flows.
- The second WIF, held in Xiamen, China in 2010, consolidated its main mission to promote investment for sustainable development and helped better understand the emerging opportunities and challenges in the context of the post-crisis investment landscape.
- The third Forum, held in Doha, Qatar in 2012, addressed the investment challenges and opportunities arising from emerging global economic governance structures and contributed to the development of policy options and partnerships for promoting sustainable investment to foster inclusive growth.
The World Investment Forum 2014
The WIF 2014 will take place from 13 to 16 October in Geneva, Switzerland at the United Nations Office housed at the Palais des Nations.
It will continue to serve as the global Forum for inclusive dialogue and policy formulation on investment-development needs at the highest level, bringing together investment partners to discuss challenges, opportunities and policy solutions to meet the Sustainable Development Goals.
Providing a meeting place to shape development solutions, exchange ideas, forge partnerships and launch actions, the WIF 2014 will facilitate engagements and effective networking through a rich diversity of high-profile events.
Why you should join the WIF?
WIF 2014 will allow you to:
- Engage with investment stakeholders to help shape an effective, inclusive and fair agenda for change
- Create strategic partnerships and expand your network
- Learn how you can be part of a global “New Deal”
- Discover what the changing development agenda means for your business
There are no fees for this United Nations event, but registration is required.
I. World Leaders Investment Summit
Heads of State and Government with CEOs of the world’s largest transnational corporations outline their vision for investment in sustainable development.
II. Ministerial Round Table
Government ministers discuss financing for achieving the SDGs
III. International Investment Agreements Conference
Multi-stakeholder forum to define a reform path for the international investment regime.
IV. Investment Promotion Round Table
Investment Promotion Agency (IPA) chiefs debate on boosting green investment and infrastructure development.
V. Sustainable Stock Exchanges Global Dialogue
CEOs of stock exchanges, institutional investors and senior capital market regulators identify solutions for promoting responsible investment and sustainable development.
VI. Sovereign Wealth Funds Dialogue
Fund managers and development leaders confer on the role of sovereign funds to meet development objectives.
VII. Dialogues on Advancing a Responsible Investment Framework
Thought leaders discuss the most promising initiatives in priority areas such as labour, technology, agriculture, mining and sustainability reporting.
VIII. Academic Conference
Multi-disciplinary academic dialogue to set the research agenda for future development intervention.
IX. Prestigious Awards Ceremonies
Celebrating women in business and top-performing investment promotion agencies.
X. Private Sector Showcase
Transnational corporations and small and medium size enterprises present their solutions to sustainable development challenges.
(Click here to go to the full WIF 2014 programme)